W.L. Weller 12 Wheated bourbon - 45%

My round-up of American spirits continues - and there are two more to come. I bought this delicious wheated bourbon in early 2014 and demolished the bottle in no time at all. I kept a sample - as I do with all good spirits that pass my lips - so I'm finally getting round to getting some notes down.
     It's made by the team at Buffalo Trace and they substitute the spicy rye in the mashbill and replace it with wheat. This gives the spirit a softer edge and this is a special drop. My only regret is not buying a second bottle at the time as it's a rare find these days. If you see it, grab it.

Nose: Incredibly deep with rich, dark caramel, toffee, sugared almonds and big, fluffy pink and white marshmallows. There's also Frosties breakfast cereal, muscovado sugar, ground cinnamon, mint and a touch of eucalyptus. There's fresh vanilla, golden syrup, subtle baked lemon, polished wood. Bounty bars with a dash of water. Complex stuff.

Palate: A sweet arrival which quickly gives way to dry oak. There's plenty of lemon infused caramel, toffee, malty cereals, chocolate liqueur and black cherry syrup, too.

Finish: Creamy vanilla, more toffee, crushed sugar and mint, dry wood, polished oak furniture and pink peppercorns. There's also a hint of cognac, cinnamon dusted pastry and well-toasted seeded granary bread.

Comments