Johnnie Walker Double Black - 40%

We're back on the blends - and this time it's the Johnnie Walker Double Black. I picked up a bottle of the regular Black label back in October 2014 and thought it was a decent drop. So when I saw the Double Black on special offer at Oddbins last year, I snapped up what turned out to be the last bottle on the shelf.

It's not overly complex, but then I didn't really expect it to be. It's very easy to drink but lacks sparkle at just 40%. That said, I'd be tempted to pick up another bottle if I saw it for a good price.

Nose: Grain and lots of honied cereal aromas backed by sweet, restrained peat. There's some liquorice, Wrigley's Spearmint chewing gum, lemons and hard-boiled barley sugars.

Palate: A sweet arrival with more honey, buttery vanilla and malty Cheerios breakfast cereal. That peat is ever-present but it's gentle.

Finish: It's here where the peat really comes through. Lots of spicy grains with treacle, pepper and liquorice. It fades sharpish but waves goodbye with a very pleasant mild smoke.

Comments